Solar battery offer
Eligible customers can save $3,500 on the upfront cost of an Origin Loop compatible battery.
Join the Origin Loop virtual power plant today
Eligible customers living in New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland can join our connected network of home solar and battery systems. Do your bit to help reduce grid strain and fast-track Australia’s transition to renewables. Connect to Origin Loop for five years and you’ll get:
- $3,500 discount on your LG Chem solar battery with 10 years manufacturer’s warranty, starting from $6,495 (with discount applied).
- Guaranteed $240 back in credit over 12 months, for five years. You’ll get credit of $20 (incl GST) toward electricity charges on your bill every month for 5 years. You’ll always get more value back in credits than we extract from your battery.
- $0 upfront on a 24 or 60 month interest-free payment options (equal monthly repayments). Everything fully installed, including a compatible inverter.
- More self-sufficiency – you’ll store the solar power you generate.
Limited discount offers available.
For full details, read the Virtual Power Plant Terms September 2021 (PDF 195 KB)
How the virtual power plant (VPP) works
By participating in the Origin Loop VPP, you join a cloud-based community of power generators. You’ll allow us to source some of the power your solar system creates to take pressure off the grid and fast-track our transition towards renewable resources.
- We’ll charge or discharge your Loop-connected battery so that it can be used to bring power to the community. This typically only happens in times of high demand.
- We guarantee that in a 12-month period, we’ll never extract more than 200 kWh from your battery.
- Afterward, we’ll SMS you to let you know we’ve sourced energy from your battery.
How to get involved
You’ll need to let us know how to contact you, and if possible, some information about your property and how you use your energy.
2. We’ll call you
To discuss your options and arrange a site inspection. Once your site has been inspected, we’ll confirm installation details and finalise your quote.
3. We’ll install your system
An expert will attend your home at a time that suits you to install your new system.
4. You’ll join Loop and the VPP
Your battery will connect to our virtual power plant (VPP). We’ll access it from time to time to help manage energy supply and demand.
To sign up, you’ll need to:
- live within 50km of Sydney Central Business District (CBD), Melbourne CBD , Brisbane CBD or Gold Coast metro
- buy a compatible battery system and inverter
- have a reliable internet connection so we can connect your battery to our VPP, Origin Loop
- remain an Origin electricity customer for at minimum, 5 years.
Solar hardware options
Frequently asked questions
Will my property need to be modified to have the battery installed?
To participate in the Loop VPP you need to maintain an active electricity account with Origin for the length of the program, but the electricity plan you’d like to be on is up to you. You can also change your plan at any time.
You can see available plans online, including details of solar feed-in tariff rates, or give us a call to chat through your options instead.
For more information about feed-in tariffs and how they work, head to our solar feed-in tariff page.
What do I need to do after my battery has been installed?
Of course! Even if your solar panel system was installed by another provider, you may be eligible to take part in the Loop VPP. We’ll assess your solar panel system to make sure it meets the requirements for proper operation and safety before we go any further. If it’s compatible, we’ll be able to discuss what battery options may be suitable for you.
Will you use my internet data to connect to my battery?
If you’re planing to move or sell your house in the next 12 months, this may not be the best offer for you.
To participate, you need to remain an Origin electricity customer for a minimum of 12 months. Choosing to leave early will result in exit fees.
The amount charged on exit will vary depending on how long into the plan you decide to leave or move home. If this becomes your situation, call us on 1300 791 468 to discuss.
You mentioned staying an Origin customer, what plan do I need to be on?
This depends on the where your battery will be installed. Changes may be required, e.g. to accommodate fireproofing. These details, including a quote, will be provided to you after the installer visits your property.
Can I take part even if my solar panel system wasn’t purchased from Origin?
As part of the Loop VPP program, you’ll need to maintain the solar system and battery to make sure they’re operating well during the term of the program (5 years). You can find heaps of tips and tricks on how to do this on our solar maintenance pages, as well as the ongoing repair and maintenance packages that we offer at Origin.