Getting started with self-meter reads
Want more control of your energy bills? You don't have to wait for a meter reader – do it yourself! Track your usage and costs whenever you like, in My Account or the Origin app.
- Open the app, or go to ‘My Account’ on the website.
- In My Account, look for “Submit a meter read” in the Billing & payments menu. If you’ve got the app open, go to Account, then “Read my own meter”.
- Your eligible accounts are listed there.
- Select the one you want to do a reading.
- Here we’ll show you the serial number of the meter registered. Check it’s the same as the number on your bill.
- If your account isn’t eligible, tap on “Find out why” and we’ll explain.
Unit, townhouse or warehouse – you’ll most likely find your electricity, gas or hot water meter outside. Please be careful! We trust you’ll be fine, but sometimes meters can be in awkward places or home to unfriendly guests.
Not outside? You could try:
- Your hallway or laundry
- The garage, porch or on an external wall
- Most likely, out the front of your place, close to the street
- NSW-ers, try under your kitchen sink
All the meters for your building are probably stored together in a room or cupboard. It’s worth chatting with your body corporate, building manager or real estate agent to get access.
How to read a digital display meter
This is a smart meter, NOT a basic meter
Gas meter with digital display
Do you get estimated readings even though you have a smart meter? Your distributor will have set your meter up for manual readings (so you can do your own reading).
Heads up – although it looks digital and smart, the sort of gas meter pictured above cannot be read remotely. This is a digital display meter.
For your digital display gas meter, record all the numbers you see (from left to right). You don’t need to add any numbers after a decimal point – we only count whole numbers.
How to read an odometer display meter
Electricity meter with odometer display
Gas meter with odometer display
Odometers can have up to three rows of numbers.
Make sure you include all the leading 000s. If a dial is between numbers, record the lower number.
Seeing more than one set of numbers? Read each one and record them separately – these are for peak, off-peak or shoulder readings.
How to read a clock display meter
Electricity meter with clock display
Gas meter with clock display
If the next clock hand is between 9 and 0, then you’ll add the number before the number the clock hand was directly on.