Life support

At Origin, we understand that some customers need specific life support machines in their homes, such as an oxygen concentrator or a dialysis machine. So, we work with our distributors to help you avoid surprise interruptions to your power supply.

If someone at your address uses a life support machine, please register the details as soon as possible. Then, we’ll be able to give you additional protection such as providing advanced written planned interruption notification.


How to register?

To register your life support request:

  1.  please call us on 13 24 61 to register your life support status
    2. download and fill in the medical confirmation form (PDF 135 KB
    3. have a registered medical practitioner fill in and sign Section 3 of the form
    4. return the completed form to us by post, fax or email.

    Post: Reply Paid 1199, Adelaide SA 5001
    Fax: 1800 242 921

You may also be eligible for concessions or rebates depending on state-based policy arrangements and the type of life support equipment you use. 

Planned/Unplanned power outages

There can be situations when a planned power outage is necessary for maintenance or upgrades. If you’ve let us know you use a life support machine, either we or your distributor will inform you in writing ahead of any planned outage.

However, unplanned outages can also occur because of unforeseen circumstances such as traffic accidents or extreme weather conditions.

Preparing for a power outage

Whether an outage is planned or unplanned, we recommend that you’re always ready with an action plan to ensure your life support machine operates normally.

Here’s a list of some practical advice:

  • Keep a source of back-power ready for your life support machine, such as a battery or a generator.
  • Know what to do if your life support machine stops working – checking the power point where the machine is plugged, trying a different power circuit or a different area in the house, checking with a neighbour, or storing a back-up machine.
  • Keep your phone charged and subscribe to power outage notifications from your distributor (where available).
  • Keep a torch with working batteries always handy.
  • Make prior arrangements with a friend, family member, your GP or a nearby hospital in case of an emergency. 

If your power goes out unexpectedly, you should also get in touch with your distributor on their emergency line. You can find their number on your bills.

If an unplanned power outage results in a life-threatening situation, call 000 and request an ambulance immediately.

Life support equipment

You may be eligible for concessions or rebates depending on state-based policy arrangements and the type of life support equipment you use.

Here's a list of eligible life support equipment based on the state in which you live.

Life support equipment Concession available state wise
Continuous Positive Airways Pressure (CPAP) Devices Yes Yes  No

No concessions exist for SA.
Concessions for QLD customers are managed and payed directly by the Queensland Government
visit the QLD Electricity Life Support  page for more details.

Enteral feeding pump Yes Yes No
External heart pump Yes Yes No
Haemodialysis machine Yes Yes Yes
Intermittent peritoneal dialysis machine Yes Yes Yes
Nebuliser Yes No No
Oxygen concentrators Yes Yes Yes
Phototherapy equipment (Crigler Najjar syndrome) Yes Yes No
Power wheelchairs for quadriplegics No Yes No
Total Parental Nutrition (TPN) Yes Yes No
Ventilators (excludes nebulisers, humidifiers and vaporizers) Yes Yes No

Some things to know:

  • NSW customers will be required to reapply for the rebate by submitting a new life support rebate application form (PDF 178 KB) every 2 years.
  • Some rebates in NSW have a 24-hour-a-day rebate and a part-time (<24-hour) rebate. Please make sure your medical practitioner selects the correct equipment type on the form.
  • VIC customers will cease to receive a rebate if they are no longer eligible for a concession card:
    • Pensioner Concession Card (Centrelink or Veteran Affairs)
    • Health Care Card (Centrelink)
    • Gold Card (Veteran Affairs).
  • If you change your address, equipment or retailer, you will need to complete and submit the form again to retain your rebate.