If someone at your address uses a life support machine, please register the details as soon as possible. Then, we’ll be able to give you additional protection such as providing advanced written planned interruption notification.
How to register?
To register your life support request:
- please call us on 13 24 61 to register your life support status
2. download and fill in the medical confirmation form (PDF 135 KB
3. have a registered medical practitioner fill in and sign Section 3 of the form
4. return the completed form to us by post, fax or email.
Post: Reply Paid 1199, Adelaide SA 5001
Fax: 1800 242 921
You may also be eligible for concessions or rebates depending on state-based policy arrangements and the type of life support equipment you use.
Planned/Unplanned power outages
There can be situations when a planned power outage is necessary for maintenance or upgrades. If you’ve let us know you use a life support machine, either we or your distributor will inform you in writing ahead of any planned outage.
However, unplanned outages can also occur because of unforeseen circumstances such as traffic accidents or extreme weather conditions.
Preparing for a power outage
Whether an outage is planned or unplanned, we recommend that you’re always ready with an action plan to ensure your life support machine operates normally.
Here’s a list of some practical advice:
- Keep a source of back-power ready for your life support machine, such as a battery or a generator.
- Know what to do if your life support machine stops working – checking the power point where the machine is plugged, trying a different power circuit or a different area in the house, checking with a neighbour, or storing a back-up machine.
- Keep your phone charged and subscribe to power outage notifications from your distributor (where available).
- Keep a torch with working batteries always handy.
- Make prior arrangements with a friend, family member, your GP or a nearby hospital in case of an emergency.
If your power goes out unexpectedly, you should also get in touch with your distributor on their emergency line. You can find their number on your bills.
If an unplanned power outage results in a life-threatening situation, call 000 and request an ambulance immediately.