Queensland home energy emergency assistance scheme
The Home Energy Emergency Assistance (HEEA) scheme is a safety net for eligible low-income households in Queensland, so that they can keep their electricity and reticulated natural gas connected in tough times.
How can the HEEA scheme help me?
If you’re experiencing a short-term financial crisis or emergency, the Queensland Government can provide financial assistance through the HEEA scheme. You’ll be provided with financial support to help you pay your current electricity or natural gas bills, and we support the scheme by offering assistance to customers who need that help.
We’ll lend you a hand if your household is experiencing a financial crisis within the last 12 months. However, if your income and savings are enough to pay the account, particularly with an instalment plan, we normally can’t provide assistance.
Am I eligible?
You’re eligible for HEEA if you:
- live at your principal place of residence;
- are financially responsible for the payment of the bill; and
- are unable to pay your debt, and are at risk of being disconnected; and
- hold a current concession card, or you’re registered on Origin’s Power On program or payment plan. You might also be eligible if your base income is no more than the equivalent to the Commonwealth maximum income rate for part age pensioners.
You will also had to have experienced one or more of the following in the past 12 months:
- a significant increase in energy use because of unforeseen circumstances;
- a significant decrease in income, or higher expenses you haven’t been able to avoid;
- a natural or family disaster, where it’s impossible to absorb the resulting expenses;
- the cost of shelter is more than 30% of the household income, or
- the cost of energy usage is more than 10% of the household income.
How do I get started?
If you need financial support and you meet the criteria above, just give us a call on 13 24 61 Monday to Friday, between 7am – 9pm, and ask about Home Energy Emergency Assistance (HEEA). We’ll put you in touch with our Customer Advocacy team, who are specially trained to assist with HEEA applications.
And for further information or support, here’s how you can reach us: