If you’re not an energy expert, finding the right energy plan can be tricky. So, we’ve made the process easier. The below questions are designed to help you find the right energy plan for your household – and help you understand all of the nitty gritty details.
What do you want from your plan?
There are a lot of energy plans on the market, but what works for one household may not be right for another. With so many plans to choose from, narrowing down what you’re looking for is a great place to start.
- Ease – How easy, and fast, is it to connect or switch providers? Does your provider offer electricity and gas, or even internet (making it a one-stop for your life admin needs)? Are there bundle deals?
- Convenience – What bill and payment options do I have? Do they offer Live Chat and an online portal? Is there a mobile app for when you’re on the go?
- Control – Is it easy to check my energy rates? Can I check my energy usage online?
- Eco-friendly – Do they offer any green energy options?
What does your current plan offer?
If you’re looking for new ways to reduce your energy bill, reviewing some of your previous bills is bound to reveal some insights that will help point you toward a new plan that works for you.
- Does your current plan have any bonuses or discounts for paying online or on time?
- Is your plan flexible? Can you exit at any time without getting charged?
- Are your needs being met? Is it easy to get in contact about your bill? Can you access your energy usage online?
You should also check for any hidden fees and additional costs you might be paying, or any exit fees you may need to pay if you’re changing providers.
What is your usage like?
Have a close look at how many kWh of electricity, or MJ of natural gas, you’re using each quarter. Along with what tariff you’re currently on. If you’re on a peak rate tariff, or a time of use tariff, do these meet your household’s current needs? Do you know what times you should be using your power if you’re on an off-peak tariff?
If you can, try to look at all four quarters for your usage – your energy use will most likely fluctuate as the seasons change. Take note of your average daily usage, and use this as the basis for getting a new energy plan.
What’s important to you?
Below are a handful of important questions that might help you narrow down what you’re chasing in your next plan:
- Look at the rate per kWh and check the fine print to determine the true energy costs. Since we don’t charge any exit fees, you can try out any Origin plan and then swap if your needs change.
- Even if you don’t use any electricity, you could still be paying fixed daily supply charge – this is the fee for getting electricity or gas to your residence. These charges can vary from retailer to retailer and between distributors.
- You could be eligible for discounts for using direct debit, e-billing or just for paying your bills on time.
- Check if you’re charged late fees on your plan, if so, try to avoid them by setting up recurring BPAY payments or an ongoing payment plan like Easipay.
- Find out how often you receive your bill and what your payment options are.
- Do you have solar panels and do you qualify for a feed-in tariff or a solar specific plan?
- See if there are any other fees for things like paying over the counter or receiving your bill in the post.
- Find out if there’s a contract, how long it’s for and if there are any exit or moving fees.
- Are there any other perks? For example virtual power plants, loyalty programs, partnerships or rewards programs that would benefit you.
Make a decision
It’s important to take the time to discover what’s right for your household’s energy habits. If you’re not too sure which of our plans would suit you best, reach out to one of our Energy Experts today – we’re here to help.