Chocolate and orange are always a favourite match, and this decadent mousse is just the thing to impress at a dinner party (or just a mid-week treat).
200g dark chocolate
500ml thickened cream
2 egg yolks
1 tsp grated orange zest
For the honeycomb
1 cup caster sugar
⅓ cup golden syrup
3 tsp bicarbonate soda
- Whisk cream until thick. Reserve ¼ cup for serving. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Remove from the heat and fold in egg yolks, orange zest and cream. Spoon into 4 serving glasses and place in fridge until ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, make the honeycomb. Lightly spray a 20cm x 20cm slice tin with oil. Heat sugar, golden syrup and ¼ cup water in a medium saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes or until the sugar mixture turns golden.
- Remove from heat and add the bicarbonate of soda to the mixture and stir in quickly. It will froth and foam, tripling in size. Pour into prepared tin and leave to cool.
- When cool, break into small pieces and serve on top of the mousse along with a spoonful of reserved cream.
You can make the chocolate mousse and honeycomb ahead of time if entertaining. Keep the mousse in the fridge and honeycomb in an airtight container. Alternatively, top with chopped Violet Crumble bar.