Prepare this dessert on the weekend and make Mondays that little bit sweeter with a start-of-the-week treat.
Serves: 6 people
Prep time: 15 minutes (plus overnight refrigeration)
Cooking time: 15 minutes
8 fresh medjool dates, pitted and chopped
½ cup fresh orange juice
2 tbs lemon juice
5 large egg yolks
2 tbs caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
¾ cup caster sugar, extra
¼ cup water
Fresh seasonal fruit, to serve
- Place dates in a small saucepan with the orange and lemon juices. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes or until the dates are soft. Spoon into 6 x ½ cup capacity ramekins.
- Place egg yolks and sugar in a mixing bowl. Heat cream in a small saucepan until it just reaches boiling point. Pour cream into egg mixture while stirring.
- Return mixture to the saucepan and cook while stirring for about 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens. You will feel a change in the texture of the mixture and the cooking bubbles subside when it is ready.
- Pour mixture on top of the date mixture. Place in the fridge for 6 hours or overnight to set.
- When ready to serve, make the caramel by placing extra sugar in a small saucepan. Add the water. Boil for 8 minutes or until golden.
- Working quickly, pour a thin layer of caramel over the set custard mixture. Don’t make the layer too thick otherwise it will be hard to crack when eating.
- Serve with fresh seasonal fruit.