If there’s one thing that everyone loves, it’s saving money on bills. There are plenty of little things that we can all do to help save energy – they don’t take much time and can make a surprising amount of difference. We like to call them ‘Energy Hacks’.
1. Turn off appliances at the wall – don’t leave them on standby. Find out how standby power could be costing you up to $100 per year.
2. Beat the winter chill without breaking the bank. Keep your heater at 20 degrees to save energy.
3. Regularly clean, or replace, your air conditioner’s filters. Regular cleaning doesn’t just mean better air quality at home, it also helps ensure your AC is running as efficiently as possible – resulting in lower running costs. The more clogged the dust filters and the interior of the machine, the harder it has to work (and the more energy it uses) to move the air in order to cool or heat your space.
4. Let the sun dry your washing instead of a dryer, you can save around $79 per year off your energy bill.
5. Washing your clothes with cold water can result in some hot savings on your energy bill.
6. The more stars the better. Check the energy rating on your appliances to help you save on your energy bill. Appliances account for about 33% of all household energy consumption – take a look at which appliances consume the most amount of energy and what you can do about it.
7. Short showers do more than just save water – they save energy too.
8. Seasons are ever-changing, and so is your energy usage. Keep an eye on spikes with our tracking tool via My account.
9. Switch lights off when you’re not in the room to save on your energy bill.
10. Closing curtains on hot days is a great way to save energy – next time you think about switching on the air con, try giving this a go first!
11. Chilled beer is one thing, but guzzling appliances are another. Did you know an extra 400L fridge can cost you up to $120 a year to run? So if that bar fridge is looking bare, consider selling it or simply switching it off to save.
12. Switch to LED lights and you could save up to 80% of energy per bulb.
Want to save more?
Join our energy-saving rewards program, Spike. With Spike, you’ll be rewarded for meeting energy-saving goals during peak demand periods (we call these “SpikeHours”). You can then redeem points for PayPal cash or gift cards.
Origin Energy, Energy Efficiency Tips for the home