If there’s one thing everyone loves, it’s saving money on bills. There are plenty of little things we can all do to help save energy – they don’t take much time and can make a surprising amount of difference. We like to call them ‘Energy Hacks’.
2. Beat the winter chill without breaking the bank, keep your heater at 20 degrees to save energy.
3. Regularly cleaning and maintaining your AC filters. This habit won’t just improve the air quality at home, it will also help ensure your unit is running as efficiently as possible – resulting in lower running costs. The more clogged the dust filters and the interior of the machine, the harder it has to work (and the more energy it uses) to cool or heat your space.
4. Let the sun dry your washing instead of throwing it in the dryer. This simple swap could help you save around $79 per year off your energy bill.
5. Washing your clothes with cold water can result in some hot savings on your energy bill.
6. Check the energy rating on your appliances – the more stars the better. Appliances account for roughly 33% of all household energy consumption. Find out which appliances consume the most amount of energy and what you can do about it.
7. Keep your showers short by throwing on your favourite song and jumping out when it’s finished. This hack can help you save on both water and energy costs.
8. Seasons are ever-changing, and so are our energy habits. Keep track of your usage during the year with our tracking tool in My account.
9. Invest in smart devices. These handy gadgets can control a range of things – from light bulbs and appliances, to controlling your AC remotely.
10. Closing curtains on hot days is a great way to save energy – next time you think about switching on the air con, try giving this a go first!
11. Chilled beer is one thing, but guzzling appliances are another. Did you know an extra 400L fridge can cost you up to $114 a year to run? So if that bar fridge is looking bare, consider selling it or simply switching it off to save.
12. Switch to LED lights and you could save up to 80% of energy per bulb.
Want to save more?
Join our energy-saving rewards program, Spike. With Spike, you’ll be rewarded for meeting energy-saving goals during peak demand periods (we call these “SpikeHours”). You can then redeem points for PayPal cash or gift cards.
Origin Energy, Energy Efficiency Tips for the home