This agreement outlines our commitment to you as a Direct Debit customer and your rights and responsibilities throughout the Direct Debit process.
- Origin to arrange for funds to be debited from your account, the details of which you provided to us over the phone, an amount (determined in accordance with the confirmation letter you received with this Origin Direct Debit Customer Service Agreement) which Origin (User ID No.401938) may debit or charge you through the Bank Electronic Clearing System (BECS) until further notice in writing;
- Origin to verify the details of your bank account with your Financial Institution; and
- your Financial Institution to release information allowing Origin to verify your bank account details.
This authorisation is to remain in force in accordance with the terms described in this Origin Direct Debit Customer Service Agreement.
This Direct Debit arrangement will supersede any prior payment arrangements you may have entered into with us.
Our commitment to you
- We will provide you with at least 14 days notice if any terms of the payment arrangement are to change.
- Where the Direct Debit Due Date falls on a non-working day or national public holiday, we will draw the payment amount on the next business day.
- We will keep all information about your nominated bank account private and confidential, only to be disclosed at the request of you, the Customer, or your Financial Institution in connection with a claim made to an alleged incorrect or wrongful debit.
- We will deduct payment, to a maximum of the amount due on your customer account, at the Due Date of your Direct Debit unless otherwise specified by yourself.
- If you have an amount outstanding on your account on the date the Direct Debit starts, we will deduct that amount on or after that date, which may be before the first Due Date of your Direct Debit, unless otherwise agreed with you.
- We will cancel your Direct Debit if you are no longer a customer of Origin after your final bill has been deducted. We may also cancel your Direct Debit by notice to you.
- If, as the result of the operation of a retailer of last resort scheme we cease to be your electricity or gas retailer, we will immediately cancel your Direct Debit payment schedule in respect of electricity and/or gas (which is relevant) and promptly notify both you and your Financial institution of that cancellation.
- You may terminate your Direct Debit payment schedule at any time by calling or writing to notify us or your Financial Institution at least 4 business days prior to your next payment date and we will cease to rely on your Direct Debit.
- If you notify us of the termination of your Direct Debit payment schedule, we will use our best endeavours to notify your Financial Institution as as soon as we can after the cancellation.
- You may stop a particular payment or change the amount and/or frequency of your payment schedule by calling or writing to notify us, to reach us at least 10 business days prior to your next payment date.
- Where you consider a payment has been initiated incorrectly, or there is a discrepancy in a payment amount, please contact us immediately so we can address your query.
- If at any time you wish to change your bank account or personal details, please advise us in writing, to reach us at least 10 business days prior to your next payment.
Your commitment to us
- Ensure the bank account information supplied to us is correct by checking it against a recent statement from your Financial Institution.
- Advise us in writing if the bank account, as nominated by you to be debited, is transferred or closed.
- If you terminate your Direct Debit payment schedule by notification to your Financial Institution, use your best endeavours to notify us as soon as you can after the cancellation
- Ensure your nominated bank account can accept Direct Debits through the Bulk Electronic Clearing System (BECS). Direct Debit through BECS is not available on all Financial Institution accounts.
- Arrange a suitable alternate payment method from those shown on the back of your account should your Direct Debit payment schedule be cancelled, either by yourself or your nominated Financial Institution.
If you have chosen to pay by direct debit in equal weekly, fortnightly or monthly amounts:
- we calculate the amount by dividing the total yearly estimated cost into weekly/fortnightly/monthly instalments; and
- if a balance remains unpaid, you agree to pay the balance of the account on the due date by other payment methods.
- Ensure sufficient funds are available in the nominated bank account to meet a payment on its Due Date. We reserve the right to cancel the Direct Debit payment schedule arrangements by your nominated Financial Institution, and to arrange with you an alternate payment method.
- Upon finalisation of your customer account with us, all outstanding funds will need to be paid by the Due Date stated on the final bill.
Fees and Charges
- We will notify you of any return unpaid transactions; and any applicable fee will be raised against your customer account.
- If your nominated bank account has insufficient funds to cover a payment, you are responsible for any costs we incur as a consequence of covering payment.
If you have any enquiries regarding stops, cancellations, or require payment assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us on 13 24 61.