Your answer to home energy storage
Batteries capture and store unused energy generated by your solar panels for you to use when the sun isn’t shining. By harnessing natural energy from the sun, it’s a cleaner, greener solution to powering your home and achieving energy independence.
- Lower energy bills On average, members who have a solar and battery package can save up to 70 per cent or more1 on their energy bills depending on the size of their system and daily energy usage. Plus, members will receive a monthly credit back for their involvement in the VPP for up to five years.
- Energy on your terms Increase energy independence and self-sufficiency by drawing on your battery’s power until it’s empty.
- Reduce your carbon footprint The more solar power you use, the less energy you’ll need from fossil fuels.
Monitor your home energy use and track savings
When you buy a solar panel and battery bundle from us and have them installed at the same time, you can monitor your home energy use and self sufficiency via our award-winning Origin app. The savings tracker also allows you to keep an eye on lifetime savings after your battery and solar unit are installed.
Savings displayed within the app are an estimate only, based on your household system’s performance and tariff data.
Filter between daily, weekly or monthly views.
Understand how energy independant you are.
Get a breakdown of your household energy mix.
Maximise your solar power with Origin Loop
Purchase a Loop-compatible battery and save up to $240 (incl. GST) a year with bill credits to help you pay off your investment sooner.
You’ll also get:
- Real-time visibility of your energy usage in our app and My Account online
- Round-the-clock active monitoring to ensure your battery is working as it should
Save with a solar battery deal
Explore our Origin Loop compatible battery options for eligible customers living in New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland. Remain an Origin Loop customer for 5 years and you can:
- Enjoy a $3,500 discount on your LG Chem RESU battery.
- $0 upfront on a 24 or 60-month interest free payment plan.
- Get a 10-year performance warranty backed by an energy company that’s here to stay.
You could also be eligible for a government rebate on your system, saving you even more.
Limited discount offers available.
Our solar battery range
Frequently asked questions
How do solar batteries work?
When your solar panels produce more power than what your household needs, your home storage battery will begin to charge. The energy stored will then be used to:
- Power your home appliances when the sun isn’t shining
- Send excess energy to the grid for you to receive credits on your bill at your feed-in tariff rate.
What is a feed-in tariff?
A feed-in tariff is a credit you can receive when excess energy is sent back to the grid. This only happens when your battery is full and your system has generated more power than what your household needs. The rate of credit differs between states, the plan you’re on and how much energy you send.
Find out more on our rates comparison page.
Are solar batteries worth it?
This depends on the battery you choose. Some batteries, like the LG Chem RESU will require a backup box to be installed to protect from blackouts. This can be installed at an additional cost.
Do solar batteries protect against blackouts?
Australia is in the middle of an energy transformation, where the uptake of renewables is changing how energy distribution works.
Now is a great time to get involved, with government rebates available to reduce upfront costs.
Depending on which battery you choose, you might also be able to join our community of battery owners who are buying and selling energy back to the network, and one another – and being rewarded for it – through our virtual power plant.
1 Based on a sample of 2092 Origin customers using a 10kwh battery with 8.8 kwh available capacity, where their solar panel size is 4kw and their average daytime usage is at 60%. Savings may differ according to your individual usage. Default Market Offer/Victorian Default Offer peak usage rates at 1 June 2021.