As part of the State Government's major technology upgrade to Victoria's electricity infrastructure, most households and small businesses had their existing electricity meter replaced with a new smart meter by the end of 2013.
Which is great news for Victorian residents.
Smart meters are just that – smarter electricity meters. They’re better than the older, manually read meters because they can:
- Digitally record electricity consumption in 30-minute intervals
- Be remotely read, so meter readers don’t have to physically come out to your home
- Help you find out exactly how much energy you’re consuming - you can view your usage details for each day
- Enable remote connection of your electricity – which is great for when you’re moving house
- Help distributors detect and locate outages and restore energy supply more quickly
- Help distributors monitor and manage the quality of your energy supply more effectively.
Request your smart meter data
Your smart meter collects what is known as ‘interval data’. In a nutshell, this is your consumption of electricity at 30-minute intervals – so it’s quite detailed. We don’t include this level of data on your bill, simply because it’s too much information.
If you’d like to see your interval data, you can request it.
We’ll forward your data to you by email or by post within 10 business days after you submit the request. You’ll either receive a PDF or a spreadsheet, depending on what you request.
This interval data helps to populate information into your home profile a tool you can use when you log in to My Account. The home profile helps you see how much energy you’re using in each area of your home.
If you’re looking to reduce your energy usage, this data comes in handy. For more energy saving tips and tricks, visit our energy efficiency page.
Find out more
You can find out more about the Victorian Government’s smart meter program by visiting the dedicated website, Smart Meters.
1300 783 882
1300 360 795
03 9937 6766
03 9937 6777
1300 783 860