Victorian Smart Meters
As part of the State Government's major technology upgrade to Victoria's electricity infrastructure, most households and small businesses would’ve had their existing electricity meter replaced with a new smart meter by the end of 2013. Which is great news for Victorian residents!
What are smart meters?
Smart meters are just that – smarter electricity meters. They’re better than the older, manually read meters because they have the ability to:
- Digitally record electricity consumption in 30-minute intervals;
- Be remotely read, so meter readers don’t have to physically come out to your home;
- Help you find out exactly how much energy you’re consuming and;
- Enable remote connection of your electricity – which is great for when you’re moving house;
- Help distributors detect and locate outages, and restore energy supply more quickly;
- Help distributors monitor and manage the quality of your energy supply more effectively.
Request your smart meter data
Your smart meter collects what is known as ‘interval data’. In a nutshell, this is your consumption of electricity at 30-minute intervals – so it’s quite detailed. We don’t include this level of data on your bill, simply because it’s too much info.
But if you’re interested in seeing your interval data, you can request it by submitting the form below. We’ll be sure to forward your data to you via email or by post within 10 business days from when you submit your request. You’ll either receive a PDF or a spreadsheet, depending on what you’d prefer. This interval data also helps to populate information into your home profile that’s accessible when you log in online, as it provides an accurate reading of how much energy you’re using in what areas of your home.
If you’re looking to reduce your energy usage, this data comes in handy. And for more energy saving tips and tricks, you can also visit our energy efficiency pages.