Green LPG for business
Make a positive impact on the environment with Origin’s Green LPG.
What is ‘Green’ LPG?
For many businesses, Green LPG is a simple and cost-effective way to compensate for the carbon emitted when using LPG. It’s the same LPG product, but by choosing Green LPG, your business can actively support carbon offsetting projects that help improve the environment.
Ready to get in touch?
How does carbon offsetting work?
Carbon offsetting involves a project or activity that reduces greenhouse gas emissions or removes carbon from the atmosphere. These projects generate a tradeable commodity, where one carbon credit equates to the avoidance of one tonne of carbon emitted.
Green LPG helps your business:
Meet your environmental targets
Support local green initiatives
Reduce your carbon footprint without substantial capital outlay
Why choose Origin?
Our portfolio includes projects that are ethical, credible and certified.
Each of the projects in our portfolio align to our own objectives. They must:
- Provide sustainable, long-term benefits for local communities
- Be supported by robust governance and a rigorous auditing process
- Be economical for you; balancing the cost of Australian schemes as well as international projects
As such, we purchase high-quality Australian Carbon Credit Units (ACCUs), focusing on local projects that support:
- Tree planting to minimize deforestation
- Indigenous community programs
- Native wildlife conservation and protection
Our international units are certified under frameworks that meet the Climate Active criteria and include community development programs designed to meet all 17 of the United Nations sustainability goals.
Accredited by Climate Active
We’re proud to be a part of Climate Active; an ongoing partnership between the Australian Government and Australian businesses to drive voluntary climate action. This certification is only awarded for products that have credibly reached a state of carbon neutrality.
Offsets are fully managed by our expert teams
Once we’ve received your signed contract for Green LPG, we’ll manage your offset credits:
- Using emissions factors published in the National Greenhouse Accounts (NGA) Factors, prepared by the Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources, we estimate the emissions produced by your LPG consumption and offset them.
- We’ll also keep track of all Green LPG sold and as part of our certification with Climate Active, will purchase eligible offsets and surrender these offsets. Volumes surrendered are published in yearly Public Disclosure Statements found on the Climate Active website.
Ready to sign up?
- Contact your Origin LPG account manager, or call 13 35 74 or email BSC@origin.com.au.
- After discussing your objectives, we’ll send out an agreement for you to sign. The agreement will include your LPG price in cents per litre plus the cost to support our green programs, also in cents per litre.
- Every month, your Origin LPG invoice will report the carbon emissions your business has accumulated.
What are carbon emissions?
Carbon emissions relate to the release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere naturally and from human activities. These include carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide hydrofluorocarbons, perfluorocarbons, sulphur hexafluoride and nitrogen trifluoride. It is generally and collectively measured as a tonne of carbon dioxide equivalent (tCO2e).
What is carbon offsetting?
Carbon offsetting involves a project or activity that lessens greenhouse gas emissions or removes carbon from the atmosphere to compensate for the greenhouse gas emissions produced from other activities. A carbon offset is a way to compensate for your emissions by funding an equivalent greenhouse gas saving elsewhere.
How do I know what offsets Origin will purchase in future?
Our current portfolio is representative of the quality that will be purchased in future from a range of Australian and international projects. We will always purchase offsets that satisfy the requirements of Climate Active.
How will I know how much carbon has been offset through my Green LPG usage?
Your Origin LPG monthly invoice will provide information on your Green LPG emissions and you’ll also receive a yearly invoice to show the number of credits retired to offset your LPG emissions that year.