Turning your humble abode into a tech-savvy smart home doesn’t have to be exxy.
What’s a smart home?
Smart homes connect all the devices and appliances in your home so they can talk to each other. There are many benefits to having a smart home, including increasing the safety and accessibility of your home. When it comes to controlling your energy use, smart home kits can help you save on your energy bills.
How to upgrade to a smart home
If you think owning a modern, futuristic and fully automated home might be out of reach, think again. The future’s here and it’s available for $299.
Origin recently launched the Home HQ Energy Starter Kit, which includes two smart plugs, two entry sensors, a temperature and humidity sensor, motion sensor and a gateway that connects the smart devices via a customer’s Wi-Fi network, allowing them to be controlled from the Home HQ mobile app.
The kit has been designed for everyone, so there’s no need for a professional installer or an electrician since nothing is hard-wired. All you have to do is connect the smart devices in your home to the Home HQ gateway through your home Wi-Fi and control everything from the app on your phone.
Available to customers in Victoria, South Australia and Queensland, the Home HQ Starter Kit is included as a bonus for customers who sign up to the Origin Smart Saver electricity plan online, or it can be purchased directly from the Home HQ online store.
The launch follows a successful trial of the technology and recent research conducted by Origin that shows 43 per cent of people who are interested in smart home technology are motivated by the potential for this technology to reduce their energy bills.[i]
Watch how Home HQ can help you take control of your home
- Gateway: connects to your home wi-fi and acts as the centralised hub for all your Home HQ smart devices to connect to, so you can access them from anywhere.
- Temperature & Humidity Sensor: lets you check the temperature and humidity of any room in your home and set rules and alerts when things change.
- Smart Plug: lets you control home electrical appliances via your mobile. Check and switch things off like your iron or hair straighteners and schedule a fan to switch on if it’s a hot day.
- Motion Sensor: position this infrared motion sensor in a high traffic area like your living room or a walkway and get alerted to movement while you’re away.
- Entry Sensor: you’ll know if a window or door is opened or closed when you’re away from home. These clever sensors will tell you by sending an alert to your phone.
- Philips Hue light bulb: lets you switch your lights on and off – great if you go out and forget to turn off a lamp, don’t like returning to a dark home, or are on holiday and want to make it look like someone’s in.
Home HQ is available in all states excluding NSW & ACT www.originhomehq.com.au
[i] Online survey of 1,005 Australian energy decision makers conducted by Empirica Research. Responses were collected between 20-26 March 2018. Participants were recruited to be representative of the Australian population with respect to sex, age, and state of residence.