One-pot dish? Check. Full of flavour? Check. Ready in an hour? Check. Try this recipe that ticks all right boxes.
2 tbs olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
400g can diced tomatoes
¾ cup beef stock
1 tbs red wine vinegar
1-2 tsp sugar
750g beef or lamb mince
2 tsp dried Greek oregano
2 tsp ground cumin
1 carrot, grated
1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Heat 1 tbs oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until softened.
- Add tomatoes, stock, vinegar and sugar and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Combine mince, oregano, cumin, carrot, and egg. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix well.
- Roll beef mixture into 20 even meatballs. Cut twenty 1.5cm cubes of feta. Crumble the remaining feta and set aside. Place a cube of feta in the centre of each meatball and enclose.
- Heat remaining oil a large non-stick frying pan with oil and heat over high heat. In two batches, cook meatballs for 5 minutes or until browned evenly. Add to the tomato sauce in the saucepan.
- Simmer meatballs over medium-low heat, covered, for 30 minutes, or until cooked and sauce thickened. Add a little water if sauce reduces too much. Serve sprinkled with crumbled feta.