How exactly do models 1 and 2 of the Powerwall differ and why do the differences matter? We’ve taken a look at the features and specs and these are the five key ways we think the Powerwall 2 improves on its predecessor.
The first version of the Powerwall from Tesla was a revolution in energy storage solutions when it was first released in 2015. The Powerwall brought affordable energy storage to the mass market meaning that if you invested in the technology, no longer were your solar panels just providing power for your home or business only while the sun was shining.
Now with the release of the Powerwall 2, Tesla have taken battery storage solutions to the next level. As you would expect the Powerwall 2 improves on the original model in a number of different ways, not least of which being the amount of power you can now store.
So how exactly do models 1 and 2 of the Powerwall differ and why do the differences matter? We’ve taken a look at the features and specs and these are the five key ways we think the Powerwall 2 improves on its predecessor:
- Storage – The Powerwall 2 has doubled the storage capacity of the first Powerwall. That’s a whopping 13.5 kWh of storage compared to 6.4 of Powerwall
- Inverter – The first Powerwall needed a separate piece of technology called an inverter to convert the energy generated by solar panels into electricity the battery could store. With the Powerwall 2 the inverter is in-built into the battery.
- Accessibility– Now you can seamlessly monitor and automatically manage your Powerwall 2 and solar panels anywhere with the Tesla App.
- Cooling – The Powerwall 2 is even cooler… literally, than the Powerwall 1. The liquid cooling technology in the battery keeps its temperatures more stable meaning it performs better in a range of temperatures.
- Flexibility – The Powerwall 2 is able to be wall or floor mounted which means it’s easier to install and more likely to suit your home environment.
The Powerwall 2 has the same stylish looks as the first version of the battery, as well as staying cool to touch and being water resistant and dust-proof. It also comes packed with smart tech that allows you to monitor, in real-time, your energy usage and send you alerts.
You can get the Powerwall 2 now with Origin from $12,749 (GST inclusive) which includes standard installation for a retro-fit situation. If you’re buying a solar system from us with the battery, you’ll get $500 off the bundled deal. *Not available with any other offers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to be an Origin customer to buy a solar battery from Origin?
No – you can be with any provider for your electricity to purchase a solar or a battery storage system from Origin
Can I get a battery to go with my existing solar system?
Yes, The Tesla Powerwall 2 can be retro-fitted to existing solar systems but it’s important to ensure your solar system and has enough capacity to fully charge the battery.
Do I have to be in a particular area to get a battery?
Yes – currently within 50kms of Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney CBD. We hope to expand our capability in the coming months.
Is the Tesla 2 the only battery Origin offers?
Right now, yes. However, we’re currently in trial with other manufactures and hope to have new products in market soon.
What does it cost?
Pricing starts from $12,749 for retro fit installations. Origin is offering $500 off the price when bundled with the sale of a new solar system from Origin.
How big does my Solar system need to be to ensure my battery gets fully charged?
We recommend at least a 5kW solar system but this can vary depending on your home energy usage profile.
Does Powerwall 2 do backup power if the grid goes down?
Yes – Powerwall is capable of backing up either your entire home or dedicated circuits in case of a grid outage. Speak to one of our experts to find out more.
Terms and conditions
Not available in all areas. Price for a standard installation with our Origin Advantage or Premium solar system until 31 Dec 2017 within 50 km of the Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Brisbane CBD and in certain areas of North Queensland. All prices include GST. Offer is available until 31/12/17 on our Origin Advantage and Premium solar system. Additional meter changeover / installation fees charged by your distributor may apply. For installation timeframes, pricing outside standard installation locations and full terms, ask us when you call.