Spoil a special someone with breakfast in bed, look no further than these scrumptious homemade crumpets.
15 minutes, plus 1 hour 40 minutes rising time
1¼ cups warm milk
2 tsp caster sugar
1 tsp instant yeast
1½ cups plain bread flour
1 tsp salt
1 tbs warm water
¾ tsp bicarbonate of soda
Chia strawberry jam
1½ cups mixed berries
2 tbs caster sugar
2 tbs water
3 tbs white chia seeds
Smooth ricotta and fresh berries
- Combine milk, sugar and yeast in a medium bowl. Place in a warm, draught-free place for 10 minutes or until the mixture is foaming.
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl and add the milk mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm draught-free place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Combine water and bicarbonate of soda in a jug and whisk into flour mixture.
- Spray a large non-stick frying pan with oil. Spray 4 non-stick egg rings with oil. Heat frying pan over medium-low heat.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of mixture into the egg rings and cook for 5 minutes or until bubbles rise to the surface, the base is golden and the top set.
- Remove egg rings, turn the crumpets and cook on the other side for 1 minute or until golden. Cook remaining mixture in batches.
- To make the jam, place berries, sugar and water in a small saucepan.
- Cook, stirring, over a medium heat for 5 minutes or until the berries are softened and liquid has been released. Stir in the chia seeds. Leave to stand for 10 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Serve the crumpets with smooth ricotta, strawberry jam and fresh berries.
The crumpets can be kept in the fridge for 1 week or frozen for 3 months. The strawberry jam can be kept in the fridge for up to 1 week or frozen for 6 months. The jam is also delicious dolloped on fresh yoghurt.
LPG for your home
We offer competitive prices and deliver straight to your door.