This recipe takes a classic beef in red wine dish and gives it a twist by using beef shanks, plenty of herbs and beautiful Sicilian-style green olives.
Serves: 4 people
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 3 hours
2 tbs olive oil
4 x 350g beef shank slices (osso bucco cut)
2 onions, cut into wedges
250g middle bacon, trimmed of fat and chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbs flour
1 cup red wine
2 tbs tomato paste
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
½ cup Sicilian green olives
300g button mushrooms, halved
2 tbs flat-leaf parsley leaves
5 springs fresh thyme
- Heat oil in a large heavy-based flameproof pot. Brown the beef shanks over high heat in two batches.
- Add the onion and bacon and cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a plate.
- Return all the beef to the saucepan. Add garlic and flour and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Slowly stir in wine and then tomato paste and thyme. Stir to combine and add the reserved onion and bacon.
- Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 2½-3 hours or until the meat is tender. Stir through the olives.
- Just before serving, heat remaining oil in a frying pan. Add mushrooms and pan fry until golden and cooked. Stir into beef and sprinkle with parsley and fresh thyme.
Serving suggestion: rocket and pear salad with soft polenta.