11 October 2017
Origin to trial demand management with large customers
Origin will roll out a new flexible energy demand trial with a group of commercial and industrial customers in South Australia this summer, as it continues to explore a range of technologies to empower customers and help deliver better energy affordability, security and emissions reduction.
Origin is working with UK-based startup Tempus Energy, which is part of the global Free Electrons accelerator co-founded by Origin and seven other utilities from around the world.
During the trial, Origin will use Tempus Energy’s demand-side management platform to shift non-time critical load into cheaper periods or when renewables are plentiful, and test the potential savings that could be unlocked for the customer.
The technology can also help overcome the intermittency challenges of renewables, by helping energy to be used more efficiently and effectively.
Origin Executive General Manager Future Energy, Tony Lucas said, “There are a number of technologies we’re trialing at the moment that we believe could be part of the future energy mix that helps to maintain affordability and security of energy for our customers.
“Demand-side management is one of those technologies we believe could have strong merit, and we’re excited to get our trial with Tempus Energy under way in South Australia so we can better understand the benefits and the customer proposition,” Mr Lucas said.
Creating a flexible electricity load market using technology marries well with high levels of renewable energy and volatile electricity prices. The technology combines smart software that predicts market prices with a clever business model that allows flexible customers to be rewarded.
Tempus Energy Founder and CEO, Sara Bell said, “Tempus Energy is delighted to be partnering with a forward-thinking energy company like Origin.
“We are looking forward to working with Origin to help them explore the benefits and challenges of new flexible energy demand solutions, and how this can contribute towards the transition to a lower carbon and stable energy system that can deliver tangible benefits to customers.”
The partnership with Tempus Energy is the latest in a series of initiatives by Origin which aim to anticipate and respond to changing customer demands, including:
- O hub – a collaborative work-space where Origin is co-located with other Australian start-ups, which is dedicated to rapidly prototyping and trialing new energy solutions for customers.
- Co-founding Free Electrons – a global accelerator bringing together eight forward-thinking utilities and 12 leading start-ups in renewables, smart grids, electric vehicles and home energy management.
- Principal Sponsor of EnergyLab – the new home for clean energy innovation and Australian Energy technology startups, which is located at the University of Technology, Sydney.
- Power Ledger – trial of peer to peer energy trading.
- Bidgely disaggregation technology – trial underway of a solution that breaks down a customer’s energy use in the home.
Tempus Energy is part of Free Electrons.
+61 412 375 101
Price review outcome and update on FY2021 guidance
Origin Energy Limited (Origin) has provided the following update on earnings guidance for the year ended 30 June 2021 (FY2021), following an adverse outcome on a domestic gas contract price review, combined with a further deterioration in Energy Markets’ operating conditions.