LPG cylinder safety for bushfire areas
What to do before evacuating (only if safe to do so)
- Turn off the LPG cylinder at the valve on top (turn in direction of arrows)
- Leave the cylinder where installed – upright, secured to something solid and on a stable base
- Remove cylinders attached to wooden structures (such as barbecues) and place upright on a solid base
- Remove anything combustible around your gas cylinders.
- Put cylinders inside a house, garage or shed
- Lay a cylinder on its side - it is designed to vent gas if it heats up and becomes over-pressurised
- Cover a cylinder with wet material - it might dry out and combust, heating the cylinder.
- Make sure you and your family have prepared and practiced an escape plan in case of bushfire
- Talk to your state's fire service for information and safety tips for your area.
In case of emergency
- In life threatening situations, call 000 (fire/ambulance/police)
- For gas emergencies, please call us on 1800 808 526.